December 14, 2017
Annual General Meeting – Germany
APSCA Inc’s Annual General Meeting took place in Cologne, Germany on 4 December 2017. We had a strong attendance by members followed by an opportunity to meet each other during a casual function. A special thanks to Frank Dorssers, Angela Fernandez and TUV Rheinland for hosting us and to our members who travelled far and wide to take part.
During this meeting, the organization announced it will operate as an independent entity beginning 1 January 2018 after recently incorporating in Washington D.C. USA. The new Bylaws were presented at the meeting, along with the 2017 Projected Financials and 2018 Draft Budget. In addition, APSCA Inc’s Antitrust Guidelines were shared with members.
The following members were re-elected by their peers to the Executive Board:
· Frank Dorssers – TUV Rheinland – B Member Representative
· Greg Gardner – Arche Advisors – C Member Representative
The 2018 APSCA Executive Board consists of:
Stakeholder Board Representatives:
Avedis Seferian – WRAP (Chair)
Wesley Wilson – Wal-Mart (Vice-Chair)
A Member Representatives:
Randy Rankin – Independent
Rajan Kamalanathan – BV
Kevin Franklin – ELEVATE
Christophe Liebon – Intertek (Secretary)
Pierre-Yves Dupont – SGS
Fred Waelter – UL
B Member Representatives:
Antonio Astone – DNV-GL
Frank Dorssers – TUV Rheinland
C Member Representative:
Greg Gardner – Arche Advisors (Treasurer)
All documents tabled at the Annual General Meeting can be found on the “Members Only” page of the APSCA website – http://www.theapsca.org/members.html
Photos of the event can be found on our website on the “Members Only” and “Out & About” pages – all are able to be downloaded.
Auditor Certification Pilot – Turkey
A Summary Report from the recent Auditor Certification Pilot which took place in Turkey in November was shared with Members during the Annual General Meeting.
The Turkey pilot was considered a success with answers to many questions being obtained throughout the two days. Participants and examiners were consulted for their feedback, following each examination section, at the end of each day and a follow-up survey at the end of the two days. Learnings were incorporated where possible for use during the second day and the remainder are being incorporated into the 2nd pilot to be held in China in early March 2018.
Following are some key highlights:
Overall Key Learnings:
Looking Back on 2017
APSCA has had a busy and successful year focusing on delivering on our mission to increase the value and effectiveness of independent social compliance audits by enhancing the professionalism, consistency and credibility of individuals and organisations performing them. We would appreciate your joining us to celebrate a few of our successes:
· Delivered the APSCA Code of Professional Conduct (V1 – Principles)
· Delivered the Competency Framework for Auditors
· Completion of 1st Pilot for Auditor Certification in Turkey
· Registered over 2,500 Auditors
· Membership growth from 17 to 40 Member Firms
· Incorporated as an independent organization within the USA
· Developed and approved Bylaws for APSCA Inc.
· Launched APSCA Support Statement
· Implemented data system and associated policies
· Participated in 19 Presentations / Panels / Industry events in 7 countries
· Conducted over 200 meetings with brand / retailers / audit firms
Looking Forward to 2018
APSCA’s Strategy Plan was presented to the Annual General Meeting. This strategy consists of 5 key pillars:
· Supporting Processes & Systems
All of which leads to developing Trust in the industry which is APSCA’s vision of “Members and Certified Social Compliance Auditors are the trusted professionals of Social Compliance Auditing”.
Implementation plans, to deliver on each pillar, were discussed in detail during the Executive Board Meeting in December. Below is a summary of APSCA’s 2018 focus:
· Auditor Certification Process Pilot – China
· Auditor Certification Process Implementation
· Incident Protocol Implementation
· Enhanced Firm Membership Approval Process Implementation
· Members to securely access their information in the APSCA database
· Ability for public to validate member credentials via website
Out & About
Check out our “Out & About” page on our website for photos of the Annual General Meeting plus other great events that our Members have been part of: http://www.theapsca.org/out–about.html
A big thank you to all our members and stakeholders who have contributed to our success, either via your membership, the various working / consultation groups, Support Statement or spreading news of our work. Your continued participation and interest in APSCA is appreciated and we look forward to working with you all in 2018.
Season Greetings from the APSCA Inc. Team!
From left: Kerrie Baylis, Rona Starr & Julie Shaw